Saturday, June 24, 2017

Testing the System

We know that God does not tempt us, but He definitely lets us be tested.  Deut. 8:2 says, “I tested you so you would know what was in your heart.”  That makes me think about the systems that have been shaped in our lives by so many influences how we think, develop opinions, form passions and make decisions through.  Possibly the reason God has for showing us our hearts and the systems we live life through is because we may be paralyzed in certain areas that hold us to a childish state of being.

When I think of virtue, I think of the Love Chapter, 1 Cor. 13.  It seems that Love should be a starting point, but love includes more than being nice.  Tests show us where we are on our journey of life in caring, serving and being servant leaders.

Think with me through this system in v. 11, “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” 

The system being tested in our lives is even plainer in 2 Peter 1:3-9, “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.  For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.”

There’s even a better picture of a generous, loving and caring Father that would love to upgrade our systems.

 It is apparent that a life built upon Love is a huge playing field.  So God allows our systems to be tested so we know where we are. 


Three words: speaking, understanding and thinking.  When I was a child, I lived through a system of how I spoke, understood and thought.  So one of the many problems we face as followers of Jesus is having our systems of words, understanding and thinking tested.  Is there a system where you got stuck, that has held you captive functioning as a child that you need to be freed from? 

No comments:

Post a Comment